In mid July 1944 the
III./JG 4 was based at Rotenburg together with the II. Gruppe.
By this time the Gruppe was equipped with the Messerschmitt Bf
109 G and flying in the Reichsluftverteidigung. In September
1944, the III./JG 4 began to be converted to the Messerschmitt
Bf 109 K. By the end of the year, the unit was relocated several
times and was finally located in Darmstadt-Griesheim. The III
Gruppe of Jagdgeschwader 4 was in Darmstadt-Griesheim at the
beginning of 1945 as part of the Home defense. After the end
of the Ardennes offensive, the III./JG 4 was one of may Luftwaffe
fighter units that was relocated to the Eastern Front. Fighting
the VVS the Gruppe suffered heavy losses, especially in the heavy
aerial battles over the Soviet bridgeheads on the Oder. Finally
the III./JG 4 ended up at Leck and capitulated to the British.
was made this week and would be included in the upcoming Profile
Book No 14